Update 2/2: With the 1.4 update available, we have disabled the beta update. Thanks to everyone that participated.
Update 1/30: A third beta update (1.4.21) is now available on Steam. The update features one new change:
- Fixed bug related to hitching between cell boundaries.
We really appreciate the feedback from our Steam Beta. We anticipate the 1.4 update going live this week for all on the PC and being sent to the console manufacturers. The Creation Kit won’t be far behind.
Update 1/26: A new version of the Beta Update (1.4.20) is now live on Steam. It addresses the following:
- Fixed occasional audio issue that would play sound effects louder than intended
- Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian
- Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly
- Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first
Original Post: Skyrim is using Steam’s beta functionality to give users an early look at the 1.4 Update currently in development.
What does beta mean? This patch is still in development. Apply the update at your own risk and only if you are affected by issues listed in the fix notes.
Be sure to back up your saved games or simply be careful not to overwrite your existing saves. If you decide to opt out of the beta program, your old saves will still work with the current release of Skyrim (v 1.3).
To get the beta, you need to do the following:
- Log into Steam
- Click on Steam in the upper menu
- Select Settings
- Under the Account tab, go to the Beta Participation section and select Change.
- A drop down menu will appear. Select Skyrim Beta.
- Select OK.
- Steam will now restart. After Steam restarts, Skyrim will be updated to the Beta version currently available.
If you decide you don’t want to run the Beta anymore, redo steps 1 – 4. At the drop down, select NONE – Opt out of all beta programs. Let Steam restart, and Skyrim will automatically update itself back to the latest released version.
To provide feedback on the beta update, use our beta forum.