We start with a preview at PCGamesN, who declared John Carmack’s VR presentation the winner of E3. Here’s an excerpt…
“Bethesda turned up with a pair of goggles, spare rocket parts, a hacked copy of Doom 3, Ph.D level genius and duct tape. Lots of duct tape. Designed by Palmer Lucky, and optimised by Carmack, the HMD provides full, true 3D virtual reality immersion with zero latency. I played with it at the show, behind closed doors at Bethesda’s booth; it was easily the highlight of my life as a gamer. Next-generation doesn’t cut it; as I took the goggles off I was left reeling. It was fluid, fast, and mind-bending. Doom 3: BFG edition might be an updated version of an eight year old game; but after playing it in 3D-O-Vision, it became the most exciting game on the planet.”
- Giant Bomb - Watch a 17+ minute interview with John Carmack.
- PC Gamer – Catch three video with John Carmack showing off DOOM 3 BFG.
- USA Today – Mike Snider comes away impressed by the VR setup.
- Kotaku – Stephen Totilo spends time with “One of Video Games’ Smartest People”.
- G4TV – In their E3 awards, they nominate the DOOM 3 goggles for Best Hardware.
- GamesRadar - Learn why John Carmack is ready for virtual reality.
- CNN – Find out why DOOM 3 BFG was Larry Frum’s ‘Most Amazing Experience’.
- T3.com - John Carmack unveils virtual reality gaming headset.
While not everyone is going to be able to put together a VR headset at home, DOOM 3 BFG does feature conventional 3D support and you can check out previews at these sites…
- The Penny Arcade Report – Learn about the BFG remake process, including the all important addition of a mounted flashlight.
- Destructoid – “Speaking as a fan of the original version, I am looking forward to the BFG Edition. It looks like it’ll be the definitive version of the title, especially with the improvements and the extra content, so you can count me in.”
- Neoseeker – “Among the updates to the game: improved rendering and lighting, which you may be able to notice here. I can’t really, but hell, it’s been ages since I’ve played the thing. Either way, it’s good to see the Hell Knight and friends again.”
- IGN – “We played a bit of it in stereoscopic 3D mode, and perhaps the highest compliment we can pay it is that it not only looks and feels like a modern game, but the 3D feels so natural it’s as if the game included it from Day One.
As new details emerge on DOOM 3 BFG Edition, we’ll keep you updated.