Prepare for the morning

The best part of waking up… is Vault Boy in your cup!

A couple weeks back I caught this Kotaku post showcasing 3D Latte Art from Kazuki Yamamoto. Thoroughly impressed, I jokingly tweeted from @Fallout that we’d love to see a Vault Boy version.

Word must have gotten around as we’ve spotted a foam version of Vault Boy this week on Reddit, Twitter, and other social media sites.

Thanks Kazuki!

Skyrim Modding Interview – Soolie

It’s been a loooong time since we did our last modding interview on Bethesda Blog, but I thought it was something that would be fun to bring back.

This week we’ve Scott Chaunce (aka Soolie). A college student hailing from Tasmania, Scott’s gotten some attention for his popular Tropical Skyrim mod…

What compelled you to create this project? Do you live in a cold weather area and needed a vacation?

I guess I never really ‘decided’ to create this project, it sort of just happened.  Before I started work on it, I had always wanted to play through a tropical/desert climate in an Elder Scrolls game.  Because I enjoy creating new environments and landscapes, I decided I might have a go at creating a few small tropical islands and deserts just for fun. However, I started to get a little excited about it, and I wanted to see results before I had even started.  So, to satisfy the little part of me that just wanted to know what it would look like. I quickly made up a few desert textures and applied them to the tundra area. I then launched the game, turned the grass off and what I saw surprised me.

Continue reading full article ›

Around the web

the_evil_within_reborn_spider_lady.0_cinema_960.0

Start your weekend off right with an inside look into the creation of the The Evil Within live-action trailer. Creative Agency Prologue talks to Polygon about designing the dark and unsettling trailer for the newly announced Survival Horror game.

Delve even further into The Evil Within’s terrifying world. Shinji Mikami and the team at Tango talks to Famitsu (via Polygon) about their game. “I want users to get so scared that their hands are in a cold sweat on the controller.”

Youtube user and Bethblog familiar Tyrannicon has put Ironman and Skyrim together. The results are pretty much epic.

Gamespot’s Cam Robinson and Seb Ford discuss their Top Five Skyrim Mods of the Week. Speaking of mods, ever see a Mudcrab and think, “Wow, I wish that was the size of a mountain?” Well, wish granted. Enjoy the enemies of Skyrim in Giant form.

Minecraft and Wolfenstein go hand in hand thanks to Youtube user thornofnight’s recreation.

And finally, Senior Designer Joel Burgess and Senior Environment Artist Nathan Purkeypile explain in depth the modular approach to level design.

ESO Roundup

Last week we opened the doors of Oblivion to the plane of Coldharbour, the realm of Molag Bal; but even more events are happening within the ever growing world of ESO.

Play Testers Wanted

Over the years, we’ve gained valuable experience from player feedback, and now we’re ready to take it to the next level. Beginning this month, we’re opening our Bethesda Play Test Lab in Dallas, TX (stationed at idSoftware’s offices).

In the coming weeks and months, we’ll be kicking off our first play tests with folks that apply from our official website. Folks that apply will be able to play games before they release and even score some cool Bethesda swag.

We are looking for people of all skill levels who enjoy playing games. We’re interested in your feedback, whether you are a person that only plays games once in a while or the hardcore gamer that plays everything. If you’re over 18 and in or around the Dallas area, apply at playtest.bethsoft.com.