Skyrim Workshop: Mod #10,000

This past week the Skyrim Workshop reached another milestone – it’s 10,000th mod. Learn more about the mod, Shannara Weapon Set from joedamarsio, in  an interview from the Skyrim Creation Kit (Public) Steam Group. Here’s an snippet…

Any advice you would offer to anyone playing Skyrim who maybe thinks about trying to make a mod but is intimidated?

It’s overwhelming when you first look at all the options on the Creation Kit but if you follow the Wiki it will talk you through everything and make modding a pleasurable and fun experience

Read the full interview here, and if you haven’t checked out the Workshop yet, visit mods.elderscrolls.com.

Computer Whiz Kids

If you followed QuakeCon coverage last month, you likely saw the amazing Fallout-inspired PC that was on hand at the event’s BYOC.

I recently caught up with the computer’s creators, Michael Kraft (case builder) and Adam Stark (configured computer and programmed game). With names like those, expect these two Plano, TX natives to build amazing computers for years to come.

When did you guys decide to do the Fallout computer for QuakeCon?

We first thought of it in 2009, but what really got things moving was winning a Sapphire Edge mini-pc at the PC Perspective Workshop at Quakecon 2011. Prior to that, we had tossed around the idea but couldn’t find a motherboard that would fit the form factor we were looking for. With this tiny PC we won, that changed everything and we realized that hey, we could really do this.

Continue reading full article ›

Summer School with Oblivion

It’s not surprising when you hear that someone spent most of their summer vacation playing Oblivion. Especially not on this blog. But what about playing Oblivion and receiving college credit? That’s exactly what happened this summer at the The University of Wisconsin – Whitewater.

Below is an interview conducted this past month with Cindy Lee Anderton & Elizabeth King, colleagues in UWW’s College of Education and Professional Studies. This summer they used Oblivion for their course “Cultural Studies/Gaming” using Oblivion.

Learn more below…

When did you come up with the idea for this class?

Cindy:  This idea started hatching itself when Beth and I discovered we were both women in our 40’s and loved role playing games. I had started playing Oblivion in July of 2011 and as I kept playing it I started to realize how often I would link what was occurring in the game to our society today in terms of cultural differences, inequalities, and social justice issues. I realized that my own play reflected aspects of my identity development, my belief system, and values and attitudes that I had. I also realized the game itself presented experiential opportunities for understanding discrimination, oppression, power, privilege, etc.

Continue reading full article ›

Fallout 3 gets real

Couple interesting Fallout bits worth checking out this weekend…

Spotted while reading The Verge, Flickr user LockVanish has taken pictures both in DC and Las Vegas and matched them with screenshots from Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Be sure to admire all his efforts within his Fallout Flickr sets.

In unrelated (but equally awesome) news, last week Kotaku featured a post highlighted breathtaking Fallout 3 screenshots taken by Flickr user Anthemios. Learn the mods he used to make screens like the one above here.

Want to drool over more screenshots? Dead End Thrills’ Duncan Harris has followed up his Skyrim work with some mod-enabled Fallout 3 screens.

THIS! IS! SKYRIM!

During today’s QuakeCon panel, “The Game of Making Games”, Todd Howard shared that his current favorite Skyrim video is Skyrim: 300 (Battle of Thermopylae). Created by Tyrannicon (maker of The Great Battles of Skyrim series), the video pays homage to the epic battle from Zach Snyder’s 300.

To create the video, Tyrannicon used the following mods:

Thermopylae by: vlad550077
Arrows Stick by: CA
Directors Tools by: Artisanix
Puppeteer Master by: JohnB
Leonidas by: Sutoko
Enhanced Blood Textures by: dDefinder
Review Studio With Green Screen Rooms by: KahjiitRaj
Remove Slow Time Screen Effect by: Lestat Viro
Spartan shield by: Davis237834
Spartan armour by: Solidus2845
Spears by: Hel Borne,ZuSkunks and Sushiyant
No Hair by: Galika

Cars in Skyrim?!?

Gamespot’s latest look Skyrim Mods brings the zany — squeaky toys, a tribute to Mortak Kombat’s Scorpion, and old clunkers to drive around. Watch the video above to learn about these mods…