This week’s modding interview is with ElminsterEU. Originally from Germany, he now lives in Australia, and indicates he has no plans of leaving. When he’s not modding, he works as a Lead Architect for a relationship database management system. His hobbies include reading science fiction and fantasy novels, pen-and-paper RPGs, swimming, and scuba diving. I guess the scuba diving wasn’t that great in Germany.
Last year I posted about Morrowind Modding History, a site dedicated to preserving mods created for The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
I got an update recently from site founder Fliggerty — letting me know that the site is accomplishing what it set out to do. With the help of some passionate members in the community, the site now hosts over 5000 mods from other now-defunct mod sites.
Cheers to all the members that have helped this site become a success!
In my last post for Community Scrapbook update, we asked you guys to grab screenshots of the homes you’ve created (or at least touched up). I received plenty of great submissions, and I thought I’d share some of our favorites. Above is Burger Boy by eldiabs.
Great work by everyone. If you’ve got ideas for what the next Community Scrapbook should be, post in the comments section, or hit us up at email@example.com
Hit the jump below to see more submissions.
At Planet Elder Scrolls they’ve announced their April Hall of Fame mods for Oblivion and Morrowind. Here’s a look:
- Ranger Tent – Carry-able Home by dongle: Adds a tent that you can take with you and pitch wherever you please.
- Silverware Weapons by Jellie _beenz: This mod replaces all stock Oblivion and Shivering Isles forks, knives, rakes, and hoes with usable versions. It also replaces all hand scythes, shovels, small brooms, farm brooms, pickaxes, dirty pickaxes, large bones(ones that look like thigh bones), calipers, and shears in leveled lists. No word if there will be sporks in an update.
- Chingari and Ismelda Demon Race _ EC – UFF -Bab support by Chingari and Ismelda: Adds a demon race and 5 new eye sets to the game. Get all the details here.
- RealSwords – Orc by waalx: The Orc module features an assortment of sabers, cleavers and swords that can be wielded by any races — with special incentives for Orcs.
Congrats to these modders on their hard work.
After our last Community Scrapbook, I received a number of emails suggesting that we do one centering around the homes you’ve created for your characters in our games — so let’s run with that. Above (Wolverine House — Morrowind) is an example created by BGS moderator (and active modder) Princess Stomper.
Whether it’s Morrowind or Oblivion or Fallout 3, email us your favorite screenshots of your favorite living quarters — whether they’re creations you’ve made or just a look at how you spruced things up in existing homes.
This week’s modding interview features Barney Blankenship (known in the forums as MentalElf). Barney is a retired software engineer living out in Kauai. He’s also a big fan of Chihuahuas.
How did you first get involved in the Bethesda modding community?
I wanted to become a graphic artist, so I purchased a student license copy of 3DS Max. It occurred to me Morrowind was the best game at the time, having just earned Game of the Year award, so I began learning about modding and playing Morrowind. I soon found the Elder Scrolls forums and how indispensible the community is. I soon got involved with the Children of the Night III (CON3) Morrowind project, and learned about modding as part of a team.
The latest Elder Scrolls mods to make the Hall of Fame at Planet Elder Scrolls have been announced. Here’s the mods from Morrowind and Oblivion that were honored in February.
- Wayshrines in the University by Rauko Ohtar: This mod adds nine Wayshrines to Arcane University’s garden.
- FCOM: Convergence by dev_akm and TeamFCOM: One of the more popular mods out there, this mod allows you to run Oscuro’s Oblivion Overhaul, Martigen’s Monster Mod, Oblivion WarCry, and Francesco’s Leveled Creatures-Items together.
- Custom Race Fix by KyneTarse: According to the author, this mod adds “catch-all” dialogue to the prisoner at the beginning of the game. This dialogue will trigger the beginning of the game for any non-default race.
- Weapon Sheaths Ultimate by PeterNL: Wish your weapons all had a sheath. Good news, this mod adds them!
We lost a good friend last week. Chris Mullender, a programmer at 4J Studios, passed away suddenly last Monday morning. Chris was instrumental in development of the PS3 version of Oblivion and also worked on Star Trek: Conquest. Everyone here at Bethesda respected Chris and his work tremendously.
Paddy Burns, who worked with Chris at 4J, summed up Chris for us:
“He was a brilliant programmer who loved making games and bringing up his three young sons. He was very involved in his local community, where he was proud of his work in getting Dunbar’s Christmas lights up, and setting up a few websites for local schools and charities.”
As I said, we were saddened to find out this great guy, programmer, and father of three had passed away so suddenly. Our thoughts go out to Chris’ family and friends.