Welcome back to another edition of “Getting to Know Your Favorite Elder Scrolls Modder (that GTKYFESM for short). This week we’ve got an interview with Nicoroshi that I conducted about a month ago. Nicoroshi loves building and creating — whether it’s at his job as a metal worker, doing woodwork and welding, or working on mods for The Elder Scrolls.
Planet Elder Scrolls has announced their October Hall of Fame modding entries. Let’s give a round of applause to these nine modders for their excellent work.
- Darknut’s Little Weapons Mod Complete by Darknut: Mod replaces all the Weapon Textures in Morrowind, Tribunal & Bloodmoon. The mod requires that you have Morrowind and BOTH expansions.
- At Home Alchemy by Syclonix: This simplifies and makes alchemy projects more efficient in the game.
- The Underground 2 by Qarl: A new vampire quest full of romance, humor, and vampire bars. Sounds like an episode of True Blood.
- Enchanted Druid Treehome by AtomicDryad: In his first mod release, AtomicDryad adds a large Redwood tree just southwest of Imperial City. This “treehouse” is full intriguing stuff.
- Tabaxi Race by Luchaire: Adds a new race to the game…the Tabaxi!
- Nicos Scimitars by Nicoroshi: Adds some pretty wicked blades that pay homage to Morrowind.
- Smarter Mercantile Leveling by wavion: This mod changes how the leveling system for the Merchantile skill.
- Unique Landscapes: Entius Gorge by Phitt: A beautiful mod that adds a deep gorge to the Nibenay Basin Region.
- Realistic Flora by Quarn: According to Quarn, this mod will make all flora behave more realistically by changing their appearance when you harvest them (whether you are successful or not). Cool idea!
That’s all for this month. Hats off to these modders!
This week we’re talking with Sage_Rime. His mod project, Mountain Tower, has over 100,000 downloads to date…impressive!
How were you introduced to the modding community for the Elder Scrolls?
It was the time of Morrowind Game of the Year edition, and I found my way to the forums as I was looking for mods for the game. Originally I heard about Morrowind mods back at the Infinity Engine modding community Spellhold Studios, then called Forgotten Wars.
Rashad Redic is the latest Inside the Vault participant.
What’s your job at Bethesda?
I’m an environment artist — not so much the landscaping but more of the physical structures and props, and textures you’ll see throughout your travels in the wasteland. I’ve also done a large amount of our dungeon lighting.
Continue reading full article ›
Hall of Fame mods for August were announced recently at Planet Elder Scrolls. According to APY, all six projects come from modders that have never been inducted before — so congrats to all the first-time honorees!
- Frostmourne and Lich King’s Helm by jojjo: Adds enchanted and unenchanted one and two-handed versions of the sword and enchanted and unenchanted versions of the helm.
- Better Letters by Cliffworms: Want a new twist on the game? With this mod, all written letters (love notes and such) have been replaced with new stuff.
- Qarl’s Texture Pack 3 – Redimized by Bomret and Dev_Akm: A project that lets folks enjoy Qarl’s Texture Pack with lower PC hardware requirements.
- Building Up Uvirith’s Grave by Acheron: This mod allows Telvanni players to expand Tel Uvirith into a town which reflects the player’s tastes and faction affiliations. Check out all the options here.
- Necessities of Morrowind by Taddeus & Nymeria: Realism increases with this mod as it requires your character to eat, drink and sleep.
- GIANTS Ultimate by The Puma Man: A mod that adds nearly 200 new enemies to fight — giants, mummies, and more…oh my!
Again, congrats to this month’s nominees…great work!
Today’s Inside the Vault features Brian Bloomfield from our QA dept.
What’s your job at Bethesda?
Quality Assurance Project Lead
Back in June, I posted a head’s up on a modding invitational for Morrowind modders. Fliggerty, who put everything together, let me know this week that the results are up. You can check those out here.
Congrats go out to all that participated — sounds like everyone had fun doing it. Also, Fliggerty indicated to me that he might have an idea for another invitational in the near future. Stay tuned!
A day after the NFL announced it’s latest Hall of Fame inductees, Planet Elder Scrolls posted the latest Hall of Fame entries for Morrowind and Oblivion mod projects. Congrats are in order for the following:
No word if Planet Elder Scrolls intends to start creating busts in tribute to the honored mods. Maybe they’ll add that for the August inductees .
Earlier this month, PC Gamer (UK) revised their Top 100 list of the greatest games of all time. On the list, it’s worth noting that the original Fallout cracked the list at #21, and Oblivion found its way into the top ten at #7.
With their list out of the way, they now want folks like you to help compile the Readers’ Top 100. If you’re interested, simply register here, and then compile your top 10 list. Amongst the list of games, you can vote for games from The Elder Scrolls series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion), Fallout series (Fallout 1 and 2), and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth made the cut. Of course you can vote for plenty of other great games — from Half Life 2 to Peggle.
Compiling your top 10 list has an incentive as well as one lucky participant will get a new PC. For more details, head over to the Top 100 page.