The latest delivery from BakeCon has landed at Kotaku. Behold the mighty Strogg, in delicious confectionary form.
But what does a Strogg taste like? Only the folks at Kotaku know. Go ask them and check out more pictures on the site.
Set up for QuakeCon is underway, and in just two days the event will officially begin! The Hilton Anatole is a big place, so we recommend downloading the GuideBook app for your mobile device. Once it’s downloaded, search for QuakeCon and you’ll quickly be able keep tabs on what’s going on at the show.
Still using a flip phone? Don’t worry, we’ve got the full schedule below.
During our recent trip to id Software, one of my favorite pictures I took was of DOOM’s Spidermastermind. The photo eventually became the model for LA bakery, Sweet and Saucy Cake Shop, to create a DOOM-themed cake. The cake was delivered today to X-Play’s X-Play’s Morgan Webb. For those attending QuakeCon, Morgan will be on hand to moderate our 20 Years of id Software panel.
To see more of the cake, visit G4TV.com.
UPDATE: Watch G4TV.com’s video of the cake being delivered below…
Skyrim and Prey 2 presentations! Master Pancake Theater!! Play RAGE!!! You won’t want to miss a minute of the biggest QuakeCon yet (with a big bandwidth boost from AT&T), so we recommend pre-registering tonight before 12:00 am CST.
If you’re wondering if it’s worth pre-registering, here’s what’s in it for you…
General Attendance Pre-Registration – Free
- Unlimited access to the exhibit area and all events.
- Save time during on-site check-in. Enter all your information here, print your confirmation page, and simply scan the included barcode onsite to receive your badge.
BYOC Select-a-Seat Registration — $20 (less than 250 seats remain)
- Select and reserve the guaranteed seat of your choice in the BYOC area
- An official QuakeCon 2011 BYOC T-shirt (choose your size)
- A special art of RAGE mouse pad
Pre-registering for QuakeCon also gets you set for the special events, panels, and much more. Check out the full schedule of events here.
If you’re not able to pre-register, don’t fret. A large portion of the BYOC will still be reserved for general attendees, and will be offered on-site on a first-come, first-serve basis to those who bring their computers.
See you Thursday!
Putting pancake and gut-buster in the same sentence normally means having a breakfast binge at the Original House of Pancakes, but for QuakeCon regulars, it’s a night of uncontrollable laughter. This year, whether you’re a QuakeCon newb or grizzled veteran, don’t miss out on Master Pancake Theater’s performance of Twilight — Friday night at 9:oo pm!
How’d you guys meet?
BEN: I met Joe in 2000 at a ComedySportz Austin audition. I met John in 2002 at the Sinus Show where I filmed the shows. Our first Master Pancake show together was Breakfast Club in 2007. I have been in love with them ever since.
JOHN: I still haven’t met the other guys in the group. We normally just assemble a second before the movie starts playing. Then when it’s over we disappear silently into the night.
Bring Your Own Computer.. or Console!
QuakeCon’s BYOC has always been a great experience for PC players, but this year we’re offering the best of both worlds. In three feet of allotted table space, you’ll be able to bring either a PC or gaming console (plus one standalone monitor).
For more on QuakeCon, visit http://quakecon.org.
This year’s BYOC will be better than ever thanks AT&T’s participation in the event. With more bandwidth than ever streaming and networked gameplay will be better than ever. For more details, check out the press release below…
AT&T BRINGS QUAKECON 2011 UNPRECEDENTED INTERNET CONNECTIVITY
AT&T Network to Provide Better Gaming Experience, Faster Content Streaming
and Greater Fan Interactivity
July 29, 2011 (Rockville, MD) — id® Software and Bethesda Softworks® are pleased to announce that AT&T is an official sponsor of QuakeCon® 2011, North America’s largest Bring-Your-Own-Computer (BYOC) LAN party and gaming festival. AT&T’s network will deliver more than five times the bandwidth ever made available to the event –ensuring the most connected and social QuakeCon ever.
AT&T’s participation provides this year’s attendees with the best possible networked gaming experiences and opens up more possibilities than ever for fans at home to enjoy the event through increased live and on-demand video streams.
“We are absolutely stoked to have AT&T as an official sponsor of this year’s event,” said Todd Hollenshead, president of id Software. “AT&T has impressed us with their enthusiasm for QuakeCon and stepped up with services to improve every aspect of the event. Gamers at QuakeCon and fans participating from home will see and appreciate the difference.”
“AT&T is thrilled to be a part of this year’s BYOC and we’re proud to connect these avid gamers to each other through our greatest asset – our network,” said Greg Skasko, director of AT&T Sponsorships. “By wiring the event with our reliable, U-verse High Speed Internet, we’re ensuring that the focus of the party stays on having fun with those who share the same passion for gaming.”
QuakeCon 2011 is less than a week away, so let’s go over the all-important checklist:
- Bring extra deodorant – It’s hot in Dallas, so you’ll want to upgrade your underarm arsenal.
- Don’t forget your PC/monitor/keyboard/mouse for BYOC – Get ready for the most connected and social QuakeCon ever. At this year’s show, we’ve partnered with AT&T and are using their U-verse High Speed Network, which will ensure five times the bandwidth ever made available at QuakeCon.
- Make a reservation at the Hilton Anatole – Even with a case of BAWLs, you’re going to need some sleep. Below are details on booking your room and how your QuakeCon experience could get upgraded!
If you haven’t already booked at the Hilton Anatole, make sure you reserve your room using the QuakeCon room block. If it’s easier, you can simply call 1-800-955-4281 and let them know you’re coming for QuakeCon. For those already planning to stay at the Hilton, make sure you’re registered under the QuakeCon block. You’ll save some cash, and we’ll be upgrading one booking with the following:
- Reservation will be upgraded to a premium suite for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings (August 4 – August 6)
- Free QuakeCon Done Quick Registration
- (2) Invites to our exclusive private party Thursday night
- Free initial buy-in and two free drinks at the IDG Poker Party
- Two VIP passes to the Tournament Finals Event & Party
For full information, read the rules below… see you next week!
Sweepstakes Rules/Legal Information
- Open to all QuakeCon attendees 21 and older who have made a reservation of at least 2 nights between July 30, 2011 – August 6, 2011. Void where prohibited. Promotion ends 9:00 a.m. Thursday, August 4, 2011.
- id will randomly select the potential winner from amongst all eligible attendees as of 09:00 a.m. Thursday, August 4. The winner will be notified via room call at the Hilton Anatole. The winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements.
- Prizing: One (1) Grand Prize: Upgrade to a Premium Suite at the Hilton Anatole on August 4 – 6, Free QuakeCon Done Quick Registration, Two invites to the QuakeCon private party on August 4, free buy-in and two free drinks at the IDG Poker Party, and Two VIP passes to the Tournament Finals Event & Party. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $531. The Prize is non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided in Id’s sole discretion. Id reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value. Odds of winning the Prize is dependent on the number of eligible entries during the promotion.
- Release: Winner must sign the attendee Waiver and Release of Liability prior to accepting Prize. The potential winner may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability/publicity release, and a US tax form W-9, if applicable, within 10 days of receipt of notification.
At this year’s QuakeCon, one lucky winner will drive away in a 2011 Ford F-150 Raptor SVT Hennessey VelociRaptor 600 SC. While the name doesn’t roll off the tongue, you’re not going to care if you win it. Watch this Top Gear video to see why it would provide an unfair advantage in RAGE’s wastelands.
Learn more about the “Ultimate Power Up” Sweepstakes and the “Ventrillo RAGE Quick Drive” contest below…
VENTRILO SPONSORS QUAKECON® 2011
‘ULTIMATE POWER UP’ SWEEPSTAKES AND ‘VENTRILO RAGE® QUICK DRIVE’ CONTEST
One Lucky Winner Will Drive Off in a 2011 Ford F-150 Raptor SVT
Hennessey VelociRaptor 600 SC
July 27, 2011 (Rockville, MD) – Ventrilo, the premier group voice communication program used in tournaments and multiplayer games, will once again participate in QuakeCon® 2011, with the sponsorship its 4th annual “Ultimate Power Up” Sweepstakes at QuakeCon. In addition, the Company will also sponsor their newly added “Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive” contest.
This year, one lucky attendee will drive away from QuakeCon 2011 in a brand-new 2011 Molten Orange Ford F-150 Raptor SVT, complete with the Hennessey VelociRaptor 600 SC upgrade package. Attendees will also have the chance to win their share of $10,000 cash as they compete in the “Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive” contests held throughout the event. The 2011 Ford F-150 Raptor SVT Hennessey VelociRaptor 600 SC, valued at approximately $69,719, will be on display in the main exhibition area throughout the event.
“Once again we’d like to say a special thank you to Brian Knapp and everyone at Ventrilo for giving QuakeCon attendees the chance to drive home on Sunday with panache,” said Todd Hollenshead, president of id Software. “This brand new, 600 HP Super Cab Ford F-150 is not only 4WD, but is also supercharged for the best performance on roads or off—and in bandit infested Wastelands.”
“It is an honor to be a major sponsor of QuakeCon once again. We could not ask for a better opportunity to give back to the community that spawned the creation of Ventrilo.”said Brian Knapp, president of Flagship Industries. “The Ford F-150 Raptor SVT was specifically designed to run in the Baja 1000 desert race but can be used for every day street driving. Those wasteland bandits will never catch you when you have 600 horsepower at your disposal.”
The “Ultimate Power Up” winner will be randomly selected after the final “Ventrilo RAGE Quick Drive” contest at 9:30pm CST on Saturday, August 6th as part of the tournament finals event on the QuakeCon Dell Main Stage. A total of 100 coveted tickets for the Ford F-150 Raptor SVT Hennessey VelociRaptor 600 SC will be awarded to attendees throughout each day of the show in QuakeCon contests, random drawings, and other events.
QuakeCon 2011, North America’s largest BYOC (Bring-Your-Own-Computer) LAN party, will take place at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas, TX. The event is free to general admission and BYOC attendees thanks to the support of id and Bethesda Softworks, as well as the QuakeCon volunteer staff and the 2011 event sponsors and exhibitors. Doors to the QuakeCon BYOC will open on Thursday, August 4th at 9:00am CST and will remain open through 12:00pm CST on Sunday, August 7th.