The newest issue of OXM is now available — look for it on newsstands for eight pages of exclusive hands-on impressions.
This morning I nearly missed saying hello to Skyrim’s senior brand manager, Erin Losi, as she was eclipsed by the massive Skyrim Collector’s Edition box at her desk. The box is HUGE – a virtual planetoid that should have its own weather system.
It’s also extremely limited – so don’t forget to pre-order.
Summer’s almost over and we’re closing in on the release dates for RAGE (October 4th) and Skyrim (November 11th). If you can’t cryogenically freeze yourself, we recommend picking up these fine books from Random House.
RAGE, written by author and game writer Matt Costello, will release in North America on August 30, 2011. The novel centers around Lieutenant Nick Raine, an Ark survivor that emerges into the apocalyptic world of RAGE to confront a “would-be tyrant.” For an excerpt of the novel look below — jump over to Random House to preorder (folks in the UK can order here).
Lord of Souls, the second Elder Scrolls novel by Greg Keyes, will hit stores on September 27 in North America (September 23rd in the UK). Head to Random House to preorder the book (UK can pre-order here), but beware the synopsis if you haven’t read the first TES novel yet.
For months many of you have asked for details on whether or not there will be Collector’s Edition for Skyrim. At the end of a rousing QuakeCon presentation, game director Todd Howard confirmed its existence.
The limited collector’s edition for The Elder Scrolls® V: Skyrim™ will be available for Xbox 360, PS3, and Games for Windows and can be pre-ordered now through participating retailers in North America, Europe and Australia. Like the regular release of the game, the Collector’s Edition will be available on 11.11.11
In addition to including the highly-anticipated game, this premium version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim also includes:
- 12” Alduin Statue: Created in conjunction with the IP Factory, this collector’s only statue stands 12” tall and is made of high quality PVC. Modeled from actual in-game 3D digital files, it showcases Alduin, the World Eater. He stands perched atop one the game’s many dragon walls that teach the player the lethal language of dragons.
- ‘The Art of Skyrim’ coffee table book: Featuring over 200 pages of striking, full-color illustrations, sketches and models, this stunning 9 3/8” x 12 1/8” coffee table book showcases the characters, creatures, environments, and weaponry of Skyrim. With a foreword by game director Todd Howard and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, readers will be guided through the game’s iconic visual style.
- ‘The Making of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ DVD This documentary DVD contains exclusive, behind-the-scenes footage, including interviews with the Bethesda Game Studios team as they take you from concept to creation and provide insights into the story, gameplay, setting, legacy of the Elder Scrolls franchise, and much more.
The Collector’s Edition will be available through pre-order and it retails for $149.99 (US), €149.99 (Europe), £129.99 (UK), and A$199.99 (Australia). If you’re interested in purchasing, we recommend you pre-order asap, as the it will be available in extremely limited quantities.
Skyrim is the home of the Nords, and as such, all of our key art key art and gameplay demos have shown your character as one. As cool as he looks, we realize when November rolls around, many of you will be playing as a different race (or several different races). With that in mind, we wanted to give you guys a chance to see what another character race looks like.
To accomplish this, today we’re putting up a couple polls on our Facebook page for The Elder Scrolls: The Elder Council. Voting will go through 9 am est tomorrow morning, and later in the week, we’ll be sharing a character screenshot with you guys.
When E3 attendees visit our booth and enter our Skyrim theater, they’re first greeted by a life-sized Elder Scroll. Created by the fine folks at WETA (Lord of the Rings), we look forward to proudly displaying this at our office.
Enjoy more shots from our Flickr page
I’ll let Todd do the talking… here’s your first chance to check out gameplay for Skyrim (filmed earlier today on Gametrailers). Let us know what you think.
As it’s been about a month since we announced our Skyrim fan interview, we wanted to give a quick status update. Todd and other members of BGS are working through the selected questions, and we expect to share answers soon after E3. For your patience, today we’re releasing a new wallpaper (above) and two new screenshots on The Elder Council.
In the meantime, you can expect to see and hear plenty on the game at next week’s big show. For starters, Todd Howard will be showing the game at the following:
- GameTrailers.com – In the hour following Microsoft’s Monday press conference
- IGN Live Show – Wednesday at 5:00 pm PST
- G4TV – Tuesday at 1 pm PST on their E3 2011 LIVE Show
Let’s get one thing straight: Clavicus Vile (pictured above, kickin’ it) is the most outrageous and excellent Elder Scrolls god, and there’s really no arguing to be done. That said, if you somehow feel differently, IGN has their own opinion in a new “Top 10 Gods of The Elder Scrolls” article. Vile believers: don’t believe their lies.
A few more tidbits from around the web:
- Edge takes a look at the process of balancing Brink with its appropriately titled interview “Balancing on the Brink,” featuring Splash Damage lead designer Neal Alphonso and creative director Richard Ham.
- NowGamer talks all about RAGE with John Carmack. The four-page interview contains discussion of the game’s storyline and technology.
- Lastly, IGN interviewed our own Pete Hines for its article “Blockbuster or Bust: The New Face of Development?“
Wanted to share this awesome Morrowind modding project, Morrowind Overhaul – Graphics and Sound, created by Kingpix and the rest of the Morrowind Overhaul Team. As the trailer shows, the mod dramatically enhances the video and audio for the game.