Hope everyone is having a great holiday. Wanted to share this violin (and drum) cover of Jeremy Soule’s music from Skyrim — performed by Jason Yang.
Here’s one last roundup before the holidays.
- Check out holiday-inspired Skyrim mods at GameSpy
- As proven by a new feature at UGO, throwing in-game items down the side of a mountain never gets old.
- To help celebrate the 25th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda, modder Handski has created a Link-inspired Skyrim mod. See it at Kotaku
- Todd Howard talks with Morgan and Adam from X-Play. Watch the interview at G4TV.com.
- IGN has named Skyrim their Game of the Year and RPG of the Year on PC and Xbox 360. Elsewhere, the game has received top honors from USA Today, 1Up, Destructoid (Readers’ Choice), The New York Daily News, Game Revolution, Gamespot, Wired, Planet Xbox 360, UGO, RipTen, Ars Technica, 411 Mania, and GamingBolt.
Congratulations to Adam Carini (shown above) on winning UGO/IGN’s Are You Dragonborn” contest! As the grand prize winner, Adam will receive a trip to QuakeCon, a limited edition Skyrim map signed by the team at Bethesda Game Studios, a limited edition Skyrim Xbox 360, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition. He also gets a free pass to wield a tinfoil battle axe for the rest of his life.
There were plenty of other great entries. In the slideshow below, check out the runners up below…
As we get ready to head out for the holidays, we wanted to share some of the latest fan art sent into the blog. Above is an amazing Dovahkiin statue created by mrben. For more outstanding contributions, check out the Flickr slideshow below.
Exciting news from Prima. Due to unprecedented demand, they have — for the first time ever — printed a Second Edition of a Collector’s Edition Game Guide.
The Skyrim CE guide has all of the original CE guide’s features: hardback cover, two bookmark ribbons, and free access to the Interactive World Map. Oh, and they even corrected a few spelling errors.
The Second Edition of the CE guide is available today for $39.99 (US) and $46.99 (CAN). Look for it wherever strat guides and games are sold.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Prima Official Game Guide Collector’s Edition is available at select retailers in North America. Below is a list of retailers distributing this guide (availability may vary)…
Barnes & Noble
Books A Million
Here’s a cool idea from UGO. They’ve put together a Character Card creator that you can share with your friends that are playing the game. All you have to do is upload a screenshot of your character.
For more details, head here.
The picture above features members of Bethesda meeting with X-Play after learning Skyrim won their 2011 Game of the Year Award. Congrats to Todd Howard and his team on this award! In addition to X-Play, Skyrim has recently received GOTY honors from Machinima (watch the video), Jeux Video (who awarded RAGE Best Shooter), Gaming Bolt, Planet Xbox 360, The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy, MMGN, Kotaku AU and Official Xbox Magazine.
In other news, check out these stories…
- Xbox 360 Achievements has a mega Bethesda swag pack featuring Elder Scrolls, RAGE, and Fallout swag.
- French site Jeux Video has ranked Skyrim the #1 RPG of all-time – with Fallout 3 (#40), Daggerfall (#23), Oblivion (#11), Morrowind (#4) and Arkane’s Arx Fatalis #6.
- G4TV shares a hilarious Thundercats-inspired mod
- Todd Howard briefly discusses DLC plans with Joystiq
- Popular GTA IV modder Hayssam Keilany gives a first look at his killer mod project for Skyrim
- IGN and Destructoid announce their year-end award nominees
- TIME and Slant include Skyrim in their Top 10 games of the year
- You can vote for Todd Howard as Industry Gamers’ person of the year. Vote here
- At The Escapist, listen to Miracle of Sound’s Sovngarde Song
- Arnold is back in a new Skyrim mod shown at GameSpy
Annnd my personal favorite story of the week: how one fan made a Skyrim mask out of bacon.
It doesn’t get any better than that!
Nothing’s worse than when you get a new game and the real world interrupts: loud roommates, crying babies, pots & pans. Sometimes you just want to scream out, “I have no idea what Paarthurnax just said… you’ve ruined everything!”
The good folks at Astro Gaming know how you feel, and they want to help out. Two lucky winners will win an Astro A40 Wireless System – complete with customizable RAGE & Skyrim speakertags.
Need these headphones to block out that special someone during game time? Read the contest rules after the break…
What a night! At last night’s Spike VGA Awards, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was honored with Game of the Year and RPG of the Year. Additionally, Bethesda Game Studios was named Studio of the Year.
A little late to the party, but we’d be remiss to call out the fantastic Dragonborn Comes/Main Theme cover by YouTube user malufenix. It’s been mesmerizing folks at our office for weeks now.
Other highlights from around the web…
- Machinima presented their Inside Gaming Awards last night — with Skyrim winning Game of the Year, the Gamers’ Choice Award, and the Realm award (Best RPG). Meanwhile, Fallout: New Vegas’ third DLC, Old World Blues, won Best DLC!
- Check out NVIDIA’s helpful PC Tweak Guide to get the most out of the game
- IGN asks the question, “Should there be a Skyrim movie?”
- Famous Japanese magazine Famitsu awards Skyrim a perfect 40/40 score!
- Watch YouTube user greQ111′s dragon fight art come to life in a time-lapse video
- Whoa! German site ElHabib reviews Skyrim giving it an 11/10!
- UGO shares their favorite companions from Skyrim
- Read the New York Times review for Skyrim
- The Escapist shares how one person added motion controls and voice command using a PC and Kinect
- Watch YouTube user deepcameo’s Skyrim time-lapse video with Ultra Settings
- Head to imgur to see some amazing Skyrim panoramic shots
- The always-entertaining Yahtzee reviews Skyrim
- Raptr names Skyrim the Most Played Game of 2011
- Techland shares their favorite Skyrim mods
- Just Push Start names Skyrim their favorite game (and RPG) of the year
- Check out an amazing archery skillshot from YouTube user MrTeamVideo
- Follow Piki Geek’s Tamriel Times diaries
- LOTS OF CHEESE!
That’s all for now. Don’t get forget to tune into the SPIKE VGA Awards tonight at 8 PM EST. Skyrim, RAGE, Prey 2, and Fallout: New Vegas are all nominated for awards.