Encore! BGS’ Todd Howard, Matt Carofano, and Ashley Cheng returned to E3 last week to showcase Skyrim’s first game add-on, Dawnguard.
Before getting to Dawnguard, I encourage you to watch Todd’s interview with Wil Wheaton. In it, he discusses games that inspired him, Skyrim’s amazing mod community, and plenty more. Speaking of the mod community, you’ll want to read Todd’s interview with Kotaku, too.
As for Dawnguard, learn about Dragonbone weapons, Vampire Lords, and much more in the highlights below…
- G4TV – Awarded X-Play’s Best RPG of E3 2012, don’t miss Todd’s stage presentation, as well as details on the all-new werewolf perk tree.
- Game Informer – Learn about the vampire perk tree and get Matt Bertz’ hands-on reaction.
- Machinima – Watch Matt Carofano’s stage presentation.
- Gamespot – Matt answers community questions during his stage interview.
- Kotaku – “Skyrim’s Massive Dawnguard Sounds Like a Proper Old-School RPG Expansion”.
- CVG – Matt discusses DLC features and speculates on future possibilites for tablets and smart phones.
Finally, hit the jump below to watch Todd Howard’s GameTrailers.com interview with Geoff Keighley.
Gamespot’s latest look Skyrim Mods brings the zany — squeaky toys, a tribute to Mortak Kombat’s Scorpion, and old clunkers to drive around. Watch the video above to learn about these mods…
- Build Your Own Home by Supernastypants – Skyrim Nexus Link Link
- Decapitation Spell and Raise Skull Minions by J3X – Steam Workshop Link or Skyrim Nexus Link
- BYOG – Balance Your Own Game by Athyra – Skyrim Nexus Link
- Lanterns Of Skyrim – Villages by manny_gt – Steam Workshop Link or Skyrim Nexus Link
- Get Over Here! – The “Unstucker Bow” Mod by [E5B] zAppeo – Steam Workshop Link
- Jeean’s Squeaky Toys! by Jeean – Steam Workshop Link
- Car mod by zdzichorowerzysta – Skyrim Nexus Link
Prior to E3, fans got a taste of Dishonored’s unique first-person gameplay with the game’s E3 trailer. If you liked what you saw, you’ll love all the interviews, footage, and more that came out of last week’s event.
The gaming press certainly loved what they saw, as the game has already received more than 50 E3 Awards globally. Some of those awards include:
- GameSpy – Overall Game of Show & Best Action Game
- G4TV – Most Original Game
- Gamespot – Best of E3 2012 Editors’ Choice Award
- The Verge/Polygon – Editor’s Choice Selection
- Digital Trends – Overall Best of Show
- Joystiq – EIC Judwig Kietzmann’s Game of Show
- Giant Bomb – One of Patrick Klepek’s most memorable game played at E3
- EGM – Best Action Game, Game of Show Runner-Up
- Yahoo Games – Best of E3 Selection
- Cinema Blend – “The Best Game at E3″
- Game Revolution – Best of E3 Selection
- PC Gamer – Staff Favorite (Tom Francis)
- Hidden Audio Log – #1 Game of Show
- Gamers Daily News – Top 3 Games of E3
- Games Catalyst – Top 5 E3 Triumphs
- The Age – Hits of E3
- Paste Magazine – Top 10 Game of E3
- Destructoid – Game of Show & Best Action Game Nominee
- Kotaku — Top 27 Game Ideas (Blink ability)
Want to see more for yourself, don’t miss these videos from the show…
- Machinima – 20-minute gameplay demo
- Gamespot – 18-minute walkthrough with Raphael Colantonio
- IGN – 10-minute feature with Raphael
- G4TV – Live demo with Harvey & Raph
There’s plenty more Dishonored coverage to take in — stayed tuned for part 2 of our E3 wrap in the near future.
Enjoy photos uploaded to our Bethesda Flickr account from E3 2012!
Update: Regarding the question about how long Dishonored will be, co-creative director Harvey Smith added the following in a tweet today:
Regarding play-time in #Dishonored: Very direct players finish in ~12 hours and explorers who eavesdrop finish in ~24.
Over the last week, we’ve collected your Dishonored questions both here on the blog and on our Facebook pages. To answer the first batch of questions we have co-creative directors, Harvey Smith and Raphael Colantonio.
Q: How does mana work in Dishonored?
A: A small portion of the mana bar regens; just enough to use powers like Blink and Dark Vision, making them basically free. Beyond that, for the expensive powers like Possession or Bend Time, the player must rely on Piero’s Spiritual Remedy (mana potions).
Q: How many different powers will there be?
A: There are six major active powers and four enhancements (passive powers), in addition to weapons and gadgets; plus there are 40 bone charms in the game that grant small supernatural perks. But no one can have all of these things in one playthrough.
Q: How long will the game be?
A: Play-style matters a lot. Very direct players will probably get through the game in 12 or 14 hours. Explorers who eavesdrop a lot will take twice as long.
Thanks for the great questions. If there’s something you’d like to know about Dishonored, post your question here on the blog or at https://facebook.com/dishonored
We start with a preview at PCGamesN, who declared John Carmack’s VR presentation the winner of E3. Here’s an excerpt…
“Bethesda turned up with a pair of goggles, spare rocket parts, a hacked copy of Doom 3, Ph.D level genius and duct tape. Lots of duct tape. Designed by Palmer Lucky, and optimised by Carmack, the HMD provides full, true 3D virtual reality immersion with zero latency. I played with it at the show, behind closed doors at Bethesda’s booth; it was easily the highlight of my life as a gamer. Next-generation doesn’t cut it; as I took the goggles off I was left reeling. It was fluid, fast, and mind-bending. Doom 3: BFG edition might be an updated version of an eight year old game; but after playing it in 3D-O-Vision, it became the most exciting game on the planet.”
- Giant Bomb – Watch a 17+ minute interview with John Carmack.
- PC Gamer – Catch three video with John Carmack showing off DOOM 3 BFG.
- USA Today – Mike Snider comes away impressed by the VR setup.
- Kotaku – Stephen Totilo spends time with “One of Video Games’ Smartest People”.
- G4TV – In their E3 awards, they nominate the DOOM 3 goggles for Best Hardware.
- GamesRadar – Learn why John Carmack is ready for virtual reality.
- CNN – Find out why DOOM 3 BFG was Larry Frum’s ‘Most Amazing Experience’.
- T3.com – John Carmack unveils virtual reality gaming headset.
Visit dishonored.tumblr.com for more awesome!
Spotted by BGS dev Alan Nanes on Buzz Patrol, check out this award-winning Karliah costume!